Pero is a large U.S. pepper grower, packager, marketer and shipper. Pero produces bell peppers (green, red, yellow and orange), specialty peppers (such as chili, pimiento, jalapeño, and cubanelle), cucumbers, squash, zucchini, green beans, eggplant, pickles, cabbage (red and green), Broccoli, Cauliflower etc..
Pero was founded in 1908 in Western New York by Sicilian immigrant Peter Pero, whose ten-year-old son would bring their crops to the train station by horse-drawn wagon. Over four generations later, the Pero Vegetable Company is still family-owned and family-farmed.
Today the company has farms located in Delray Beach, Florida; Omega, Georgia; Benton Harbor, Michigan; Texas; and Tennessee. Operations include the sales and delivery of bulk commodities, whole freshwrap vegetables and fresh cut packaged retail products.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Currently we are seeking an experienced, passionate Quality Assurance Manager to join our Company in the Benton Harbor Michigan region. This position is responsible for overseeing all aspects of our Quality Assurance department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plans and implements programs that meet corporate, Food Safety and Quality mission. Provides continuing documentation, verifying compliance to mission and strategic plan
- Achieves Food Safety and Quality objectives including compliance to product specifications by contributing information and analysis to strategic plan, completing action plans, implementing customer service standards, identify and correcting out of control processes, managing both internal and external product safety and quality audits.
- Develops food safety and quality plans by actively managing the development of HACCP plans and all appropriate pre-requisite programs such as sanitation programs, GMP’s, employee training and supplier approval
- Validates Food Safety and Quality plans by developing product and process specification and provides documented evidence of continuous compliance. Capability of developing and implementing corrective action-preventative measures in the event that a process is out of control
- Maintains a working knowledge of the QA Team site and data entry
- Maintains QA documentation on the server system and controls documentation security
- Drives continuous process and product improvement based on data and the application of statistical techniques
- Ability to effectively hire and manage QA staff. Provides coaching, counseling and disciplinary action when required. Effectively evaluates employee’s performance against agreed upon objectives
- Ability to effectively work with night sanitation staff. Provides coaching, counseling and disciplinary action when required. Effectively evaluates employee’s performance against agreed upon objectives
- Maintains expertise in managing Regulatory issues
- Updates and communicates Food Safety and Quality knowledge to organization
- Drives culture and ethic to assure safe, quality production of food to enhance the Pero Family Farms Brand with customers and consumers
- B.S. degree preferable, but not required in relevant area of study, i.e. Food Science, Bacteriology, Chemical Engineering, Statistics, Horticulture, Dairy Science
- Minimum 2 years’ experience required in managing Food Safety and Quality programs
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- A proven problem solver
- Experience in the development and execution of strategic plans
- Drives continuous improvement
- A working knowledge of Quality Statistics and process control
- Has the ability to develop and implement HACCP programs and all associated pre-requisite programs
- Ability to effectively train and manage technical staff
- Ability to interact with customers
- Ability to effectively communicate to a non-technical organization
Over a century of family farming
Since 1908 our family farms have grown out of our passion for food, a healthy environment and our sincere interest in producing the highest quality food, both ethically and sustainably. Today we are a sustainable farm that grows a wide array of year-round vegetables offered in a variety of convenient packages.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.