CHARLES E. GILB COMPANY
Job Title: Sales and Procurement Representative
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Date: May 2018
Long-established, stable, and reputable produce distributor in downtown Los Angeles seeks to expand its commodity offering to its existing customers and grow its customer base leveraging new relationships.
You will join our team and be responsible for procurement and sales of produce nationwide with our industry partners (growers, shippers, distributors, and wholesalers) to ensure a consistent and diverse product line is marketed at all times. You must be highly flexible to service diverse needs and have the ability to thrive in a fast paced and autonomous work environment.
There will be a focus on creating new customer relationships and customer development with new commodities, as well as addressing the needs and insuring the satisfaction of our existing customers and suppliers. This focus will be for both assigned accounts as well as the accounts of other department personnel through collaborative teamwork.
- Contact suppliers to negotiate and acquire product for sale;
- Maintain effective communications with other buyers and sales representatives for produce sales;
- Manage and expand commodity offering to satisfy customer needs;
- Intimate knowledge of product line, prices, quality, and similar data as required;
- Keep abreast of market conditions and new items;
- Develop pricing strategies;
- Meet individual and departmental sales and profit goals;
- Make presentations to potential and existing customers and suppliers;
- Forge and maintain effective, professional relationships with customers, suppliers, and industry colleagues;
- Participate in special projects as needed;
- Attend all scheduled sales meetings and scheduled appointments;
- Follow internal paperwork procedures and deadlines;
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Minimum three to five years diverse produce experience;
Strong commodity knowledge including vegetables and fruits;
Effective interpersonal skills to communicate with customers, suppliers, and peers, both in-person and via telephone;
Proven negotiation skills;
Able to multi-task and work well under pressure in a day-to-day work plan; Strong organizational skills;
Education requirements: High School diploma, 2 years college preferred
Some travel required: visiting customers, growers, and attending produce conventions;
General knowledge/experience with warehouse equipment;
Math skill required to quickly calculate cases/pallets multiples and calculate product cost and profit margin;
Punctual and accurate with paperwork, figures, attentive to detail, and follow-through, excellent phone skills and PC skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point);
Flexible and able to deal with a variety of details simultaneously;
Proven problem-solving skills;
Prefer both retail and wholesale produce experience;
Must have reliable transportation and proof of insurance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.