SUMMARY: With approximately 30,000 acres in California, Sun Pacific® is the largest grower/shipper of navel oranges in the world, the largest grower/shipper of kiwi in North America, the 2nd largest grower/shipper of mandarins in North America, the largest tomato grower in California and renown for high quality table grapes. Our core focus is on farming, providing us with deep expertise in every aspect of growing these crops, including all cultural aspects, pest control, irrigation technologies and specialized equipment use, all tied together with sophisticated information systems. Our team is growing and currently looking for a Pest Control Adviser for our citrus and nursery farming operations in Kern County.
Reporting Relationship: The pest control adviser for covered region reports directly to the Pest Management Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The pest control adviser will oversee field scouts, sample fields for pest and beneficial insects and mites, manage the sampling of leaf and plant tissues, write recommendations, and communicate an overall pest management plan with farm managers. The following are essential duties and responsibilities:
- Responsible for overseeing field scouts;
- Determine different sample procedures to be used depending on pests;
- Review field reports turned in by field scouts on a daily basis;
- Required to attend daily meetings with field scouts to review day’s progress;
- Oversee red scale traps;
- Take soil and/or tissue samples, as needed;
- Coordinate with ranch manager on product treatment options
- Bachelor’s degree in an agricultural field of study or equivalent preferred;
- Adhere to California Department of Pesticide Regulations;
- Knowledge of agricultural methods, pesticides, fertilizers, labels;
- Knowledge of proper pesticides to be used depending on crop destination;
- Possession of PCA license, and,
- Possession of a CDL and an acceptable driving record insurable by the Company’s insurance policy.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Computer literate in MS Office and ag-specific software programs, such as Agrian;
- Ability to effectively lead positively, motivate, and communicate to employees;
- Ability to make recommendation and/or use judgement
- Effective and proficient data/spreadsheet analysis, reporting, and communication skills;
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple responsibilities and tasks; and,
- Ability to work in farming environments, extensive hours, weekends, and be very flexible to compliment operations for continued success.
Please note: This job description is to be used as an overview of your job responsibilities and duties, and is subject to change or revision as determined by management. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job, at any time. This job description is not and does not imply a contract of employment in any way. Either the employee or the Company may terminate the employment relationship at-will, at any time, with or without prior notice and with our without cause.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.