Director of Sales - Berries
Director of Sales - Berries
Division VP and General Manager
November 5, 2018
Philadelphia or Portland
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION / PRIMARY PURPOSE
Under the direction of the GM or VP of Sales, the Director of Sales is responsible for meeting revenues, profit and volume goals. Maintaining daily business with existing accounts and developing new business opportunities as the markets avail for all North America. Strawberry, blueberry, blackberry and Raspberry experience is a must.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS/DUTIES OF THE POSITION
- Primary job function will be to manage the day-to-day contact with existing customers, maintaining a constant flow of Dole products into each customer’s facilities at a price that meets or exceeds budgeted goals.
- Other duties include product allocation when demand exceeds supply, handling and processing of sales allowances and work closely with AR in the collection of monies.
- In conjunction with the Director of berries focus will also include strategic development of all channels for distribution such as Grocery, Drug, Mass, Discount channels and Wholesalers.
- Assist in obtain new business and monitor sales support systems to ensure business retention, establish and enforce accountability.
- Sharing responsible for strategic planning with Director of berries, including prospecting and developing sales distribution strategies that grow volume selling Dole products.
- Develop rapport with decision makers to ensure continued business.
- Execute training, promotional, distribution and positioning strategies in coordination with Dole sales force.
- Determine pricing strategies that insure profitability from all customers.
- Provides feedback on account activities, needs and opportunities.
- Ability to cover accounts of other coworkers in their absence.
- Other duties as assigned.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skill And Experience Requirements)
- 5-10 years sales and marketing experience; 4-8 years in sales positions directly related to fresh food product sales.
- Proven success in managing sales territories/regions.
- Strategic ability in account management, with a focus on growing profitable sales for the customer and Dole.
- Must be able to understand customer product demands and update forecasting systems appropriately.
- The ability to identify problems and have diverse problem solving skills that rectify problems in a quick fashion.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Able to negotiate profitable sales agreements with key personnel that prove successful for all involved.
- General knowledge of the P&L with ability to create and manage a working sales/product budget.
- Maintain current knowledge of industry trends and product development.
- Knowledge and ability to use basic software systems such as Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook as part of the daily job function.
- Excellent knowledge of deciduous quality criteria, defects, and factors that cause defects.
- Knowledge of appropriate business practices and procedures, ability to allocate resources, plan procurement and oversee budgets and contracts to ensure fiscal stability.
- Provides leadership and direction through Managers.
- Is accountable for the performance and results of related disciplines.
- Decisions are guided by functional strategy.
- Must have a broad knowledge of world export and import business particularly Central and South American imports.
- Applies broad industry and commercial awareness to drive financial and operational performance across sub-functions.
- Ability to identify and analyze factors contributing to the problem, generate alternative interventions to achieve goal, evaluate and implement plan to correct and assess effectiveness of interventions.
- Demonstrate ability to lead others through effective communication, motivation, trustworthiness, through positive reinforcement and able to delegate to subordinates mission critical tasks.
- Ability to impact others through work performance and result driven actions.
- Must have effective interpersonal skills that demonstrate your ability to work and get along with peers, subordinates and business partners.
INTERNAL & EXTERNAL RELATIONS
- Internal Relations in this role include: peer group, agricultural operations, logistics, demand planning, sales personnel, product managers, productions personnel, accounting and IT and PI&C
- External Relations for this role include: the customer, customer’s carriers, customer’s payables personnel, warehouse personnel to executive level management of large chains.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION
- BA/BS, Business or related field preferred; equivalent experience may be acceptable
- Ability to travel 50%.
- Ability to climb stairs, be stationary for long periods of time, and stoop, bend, and lift up to 25 lbs. (Notification required due to the Americans with Disabilities Act).
WORK HOUR REQUIREMENT
- Must be available to work irregular and/or changing shifts including holidays and weekends. Needs to be available electronically at all times.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.