Job Description and Primary Function:
Duncan Family Farms is seeking a Post-Harvest Supervisor to be responsible for the overall supervision and leadership of the company post-harvest operations. This position will oversee and supervise the post-harvest operations on a day-to-day basis, for multiple farm locations. The ideal candidate should be a motivated self-starter who will work effectively in a team environment with customers, administration and all department managers to utilize available resources to increase operational efficiency, productivity and company profitability. Travel to regional farm locations will be required to support seasonal growing periods. This is a year-round position. The Post-Harvest Supervisor will report to the Post-Harvest and Logistics Director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise and oversee 20+ operational employees in the Post-Harvest department, for multiple farm locations. Operations within the department include: post-harvest receiving, shipping and cooling.
- Supervise and coordinate all activities of receiving and shipping, forklift operators, and other staff engaged in the receiving, shipping and cooling of product.
- In coordination with department Crew Leaders, prepare and plan daily utilization of resources to ensure consistent and efficient post-harvest operations.
- Manage the recordkeeping of inventory of raw product, finished product and packing material supply. Includes physical and electronic inventory lists.
- Administer and support company safety and health programs to ensure a safe work place and to be compliant with city, county, state and federal regulations.
- Work closely with Food Safety and Human Resources departments to comply and enforce all company food and safety procedures and policies.
- Coordinate post-harvest meetings with Harvest, Food Safety and Production departments.
- Work closely with Harvest and Sales departments to meet changing customer needs.
- Provide support and coordination for the movement of company equipment between farm locations.
- Work closely with the Director to manage and report on post-harvest operations and budgets in all regional locations.
- Make recommendations to Director to improve efficiency, productivity and cost reduction initiatives.
Physical Demands: The employee is required to stand for extended periods of time (duration of the shift, 8 hours or more); walk; reach with hands and arms. The employee must be able to push/pull/lift and or move 50 pounds.
Work Environment: The employee is routinely exposed to wet/cold conditions and at times hot conditions; high places, and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in an agriculture field of study, or proven experience in related fields.
- Strong computer skills including database development and proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to read, write and speak English, bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- Must have valid driver’s license and be insurable.
- Position will require extensive travel to Arizona, California, Oregon and New York during seasonal growing periods.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and the ability to set and achieve goals.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Process improvement and problem-solving skills.
- Good with numbers, quantitative methods, and able to analyze the relative costs and benefits of potential actions.
- Good understanding and ability to work with operation budgets.
- Experience in fresh produce and/or agriculture preferred.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Problem Solving – Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully; develop alternative solutions.
- Teamwork -Team player who will exceed assigned responsibilities and assist others to reach objectives.
- Ethics – Treat fellow employees from own and other cultures with respect; work with honesty and integrity; uphold organizational values.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.